[K12OSN] 5.0 EL test updates

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Sun May 20 17:19:49 UTC 2007

Peter Scheie wrote:
> Eric Harrison wrote:
>> I added the fix for the fuse problem & cleaned up a couple of minor
>> items.
>>
>> The rpmforge repository has been added (but is disabled by default) and
>> a couple of packages from that repo have been included. If you are
>> upgrading from the first 5.0EL build, you should update the
>> k12ltsp-release package before running yum upgrade:
>>
>>     yum install k12ltsp-release
>>     yum upgrade
>>
>> The k12ltsp-release package includes the gpg keys that are required to
>> install packages from the rpmforge repo. If you try to install a
>> rpmforge-build package before installing the new k12ltsp-release
>> package, you will get an error about missing keys.
>>

>> After installing all of the updated packages, you can either reboot or
>> run the following commands in order to fix the USB drive support:
>>
>>     /etc/init.d/dkms_autoinstaller start
>>     /sbin/chkconfig dkms_autoinstaller on
>>     /sbin/modprobe fuse
>>     /etc/init.d/ltspfs-insecure start
>>
> I followed the instructions above, but when I ran 'modprobe fuse' I got
> 'FATAL: Module fuse not found'.  Also, what exactly does the
> dkms_autoinstaller do?  After I start it, I'm not sure what I should
> look for to see if it's running correctly (which it may not be).
>
> Peter

dkms = Dynamic Kernel Module Support

DESCRIPTION
  dkms is a framework which allows kernel modules to be dynamically built
  for each kernel on your system in a simplified and organized fashion.

I tested on one my servers and it didn't work either. The trick is that
kernel-devel package needs to match the running kernel. If you upgrade
your kernel packages, you need to reboot before dkms will work.

-Eric