Re: [K12OSN] OT - Web based appliance

rmcdaniel indata us wrote:
Yes, I currently use UltraVNC which is the preferred way to use VNC in
that situation.  I use that for support issues.  No, STI isn't a web
application.  It is a client server application that has to run on a
windoze box...  I think that Tarantella will do what I am trying to
accomplish.  I am trying to get to the point where all of my apps are
served up in a web interface.  Due to extreme cost, I don't want to go
the M$ Terminal/Citrix way.  I am not that familiar with FreeNX, but I
will check it out.  Should I also be looking at possiby running a VM so
that I could run Windoze apps on my K12LTSP box that will be accessible
by the thin clients ???

Just trying to get to the point where I can roll out thin clients every
(mostly) where.

The thing to keep in mind is that you CAN roll out thin clients everywhere; matter of fact, that's the only way you can put computer access everywhere. Linux isn't Windows nor Mac OS X. Those systems are exorbitantly expensive, both to purchase and maintain, such that nearly all schools have at best only a few computer labs, and students get less than an hour per week on the computer. Rather than trying to recreate the Windows experience--which you can't because, as just mentioned, it's way too expensive--use LTSP's advantage, which is that it drives computing costs WAY down, to provide computer access everywhere. What students need in a computer 90% of the time is a web browser and a word processor. Relegate other specialized apps to the lab for those infrequent times when they are actually needed.

Petre