[K12OSN] Firefox crashes

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu May 3 14:37:23 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 09:55 -0400, Michael Blinn wrote:
> I start the machine with the i810 xserver and no 'videoram' directive. At the login screen, I switch to vt2, run free, and I get the following:
>
> Mem total:  254980   used: 42812   free: 212168

So theoretically, the system has 256MB RAM? So 256x1024=262144.
262144-254980 = 7164 which is just under 8MB RAM set aside for video. So
if you use 8 or higher, it won't work.

At this point, I would say to get a boot CD of edubuntu or Knoppix and
test that on the machines and see it it will run. Also, run memtest and
make sure the ram is actually all good.

Check and see if an upgraded BIOS is available. You _should_ have the
ability to adjust how much RAM is reserved for video.

http://faculty.fuqua.duke.edu/~dah7/PowerLeap-GX110.htm