[K12OSN] Firefox crashes

Michael Blinn mblinn at peopleplaces.org
Thu May 3 15:00:33 UTC 2007

On Thu, 03 May 2007 10:37:23 -0400, "James P. Kinney III" <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:
>> Mem total:  254980   used: 42812   free: 212168
>
> So theoretically, the system has 256MB RAM? So 256x1024=262144.
> 262144-254980 = 7164 which is just under 8MB RAM set aside for video. So
> if you use 8 or higher, it won't work.

I tried 7160, (Along with Jim's suggestion of 4) and loading those pages causes the x server crash. This is the only directive I'm passing in lts.conf

> At this point, I would say to get a boot CD of edubuntu or Knoppix and
> test that on the machines and see it it will run. Also, run memtest and
> make sure the ram is actually all good.

Yuck. I'm 95% sure it's not memory because this is the third box I've tested on, including taking memory from another, working, non-i810 box and putting it into the i810.

> Check and see if an upgraded BIOS is available. You _should_ have the
> ability to adjust how much RAM is reserved for video.
>
> http://faculty.fuqua.duke.edu/~dah7/PowerLeap-GX110.htm

I've just upgraded the BIOS from a05 to a09. This does not change the results, nor is there a section for specifying video RAM. The closest thing I have is a 'Video DAC snoop' boolean.

-Michael