[K12OSN] Help: System intrusion through ssh and a weak password

Sam Snow snowsam at laurel-point.net
Sat May 5 21:12:28 UTC 2007

k12osn-request at redhat.com wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 12:10:03 +0200
> From: Nils Breunese <nils at breun.nl>
> Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Help: System intrusion through ssh and a weak
> 	password
> To: "Support list for open source software in schools."
> 	<k12osn at redhat.com>
>
> Op 5-mei-2007, om 8:53 heeft Nadav Kavalerchik het volgende geschreven:
>

>> we're using freenx through ssh to remote control all the school
>> that are installed with ltsp
>>
>> what we did is moved the ssh port somewhere high in the port list,
>> it solved all the "scanning" and trying to "break in" log entries
>> that we used to see in the log file :-)
>>
>> (i wonder how long it will last)
>>

> I like to setup SSH keys, disable PasswordAuthentication and install
> something like Fail2Ban or DenyHosts. That should keep them out and
> keep your logs from growing like mad.
>
> Nils Breunese.

I use also use fail2ban (http://sourceforge.net/projects/fail2ban ),
which scans the system logs and when someone gets a password wrong X
number of times in Y time period, their IP address is blocked for Z
ammount of time. I use it on a debian machine, and there is a package,
but it can be used on other flavors of Linux as well.

Sam
http://www.onlinegrades.org/ - Free software for securely posting
student grades online