[K12OSN] Fwd: of interest regarding ICT use in schools

Steven Santos steven at simplycircus.com
Sun May 6 15:16:08 UTC 2007

I don't think the laptops themselves were the issue, so much as I don't
think the schools had any real idea what to do with them.

For laptop projects like this to be successful, ALL of the schools
curriculum would have needed to be revamped to make regular, daily use of
it.  Replacing all textbooks with e-textbooks, replacing all manual note
taking with computer notes, in general replacing paper with bits would be an
excellent use of these tools, and might even have paid for a large portion
of the program.  I would even go so far as to speculate that a school
focused on using a research based curriculum would perhaps be the best use
of laptops in schools.

Throwing laptops into the school and expecting results from that alone,
without the training on how to make use of the tool, well, that was just
asking for trouble.

  _____

Steven Santos
Director, Simply Circus, Inc.