Re: [K12OSN] Fwd: of interest regarding ICT use in schools

On 5/7/07, Rob Owens <rowens ptd net> wrote:
1)  Much of the complaints in this article had to do with cost,
maintenance, and "technical glitches" (my gues is that means virus
problems).  LTSP cures a lot of this.
Indeed. When we used it, the system was amazingly reliable given the
crappy hardware we were forced to use.

2)  They are judging student performance based on standardized test
scores, which I've always thought was a poor indicator of anything
except a student's ability to do well on standardized tests.
Obviously, yes, but the reality is that standardized tests are the
means by which schools are judged and rated. The move is toward, not
away from standardized tests.

I am a big proponent of technology, but there are many situations
where it makes little difference in the classroom. The ability for
students to get better assistance out of school or in study hall is a
great thing. I'm still up in the air about its usefulness in the
normal classroom. People spend a lot of time on glitz and show for
presentations and the like when giving the students a good, solid,
interesting lesson would be better.
Dan