[K12OSN] Desktop and Browsing Control

Bob Hill thebobhill at mail.com
Mon May 7 03:11:50 UTC 2007

Hello Group,

I am using both K12LTSP 6 and Ubuntu Feisty 7.04 for two small LTSP
classroom labs.  In both situations, I have installed Sabayon to try to
create managed profiles for the Gnome desktop.  I would also like to try
to manage some of the students' web browsing through a whitelist or
blacklist (I think).  The distros have Squid, SquidGuard, and Dans
Guardian included.  However, I must admit, I am too much of a Linux noob
to understand how to get the results I want with these tools.

Question # 1 -- After creating a profile with Sabayon, do I somehow need
to copy this profile to all user's home or other folders?  The profile
doesn't always seem to be applied uniformly to the users that I assign
the profile to.  I think the Sabayon web site says something to this effect.

Question # 2 -- I have tried to get Squid and SquidGuard set up and
running in each distro, but when I check processes and services, neither
is listed as running and trying to start / restart them either hangs or
produces an error message.  Do I need to configure and start Squid, then
SqidGuard, or Dans Guardian?  Would anyone be willing to share a step by
step description of how one configures these tools?  The directions I
have tried to follow from the respective web sites are not working for
me (sorry for my ignorance).  I think I would like to limit internet
browsing from the LTSP clients with Firefox to a "whitelist" of sites.
Are these the tools to do that with, and how?

Thanks for any expertise you are willing to share.

Bob Hill
Forestview High School
Gastonia, NC