[K12OSN] weird behavior

Peter Hartmann ascensiontech at gmail.com
Mon May 7 22:15:43 UTC 2007

Anybody seen this kind of thing:  Programs complain about not finding
prefrence files

When launched xterm it took for ever and then started with this error:

Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that
you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS
locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/
for information. (Details -  1: IOR file '/tmp/gconfd-kahuna/lock/ior'
not opened successfully, no gconfd located: No such file or directory
2: IOR file '/tmp/gconfd-kahuna/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no
gconfd located: No such file or directory)

Also when I shutdown I saw a lot of segfault errors for xfs when the
service was exiting.  I looked for an update for xfs but none was
availible for centos 4.4.  After restarting all is well but I wish i
had an answer why.  would an xfs crash cause the other stuff?

Thanks,
Peter