[K12OSN] Just about ready to make a purchase

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue May 8 18:55:34 UTC 2007

On Tue, 08 May 2007 11:18:44 -0700, Huck wrote
> 90 machines all concurrently logged in?? My personal experience screams
> slow...but I hope that's not the case for you...(network bottlenecks,
> not server)

I am hoping to alleviate the network bottlenecks with the four gigabit load balanced
NICs.  Each lab will be fed with a dedicated gigabit connection, some with multiple
connections all leading back to the primary gigibit switch.  So there will be a
dedicated gig to every 30 machines or less.  Do others think this will still bottleneck?

They won't always be concurrently logged in, but it will be possible so I think I need
to plan for that.

> 45 min training sessions weekly...
>
> You might want to look into using Captivate/Camtasia or some such tool
> to record mini-training videos for specific tasks...and export them as
> flash and put them on an Intranet somewhere for them to have access to
> at their leisure...just a suggestion =)

I have been playing with gtk-recordmydesktop.  Not quite what I am looking for yet, it
is a little choppy.  I will try out your suggestions.  I definitely want to be able to
record the sessions for future reference and for new teachers.  I also know I need to
keep them short as I loose them fairly quickly :-)

> Kudos on saving $90k of either tax dollars or privately donated funds!

All money paid through tuition.  I just hope I can really save the money and not have to
backtrack or add too many other servers due to speed problems.