[K12OSN] Just about ready to make a purchase

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed May 9 15:32:05 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 22:43 -0700, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On 5/8/07, Jim Kronebusch <jim at winonacotter.org> wrote:
> > I am finally ready to purchase the new server for our school and new thin clients.
> > Below is what we'll be starting with, making the switch on labs and media centers first,
> > next year adding teachers.
> >
> > -Dell PowerEdge 6800
> > -Quad 3Ghz/800Mhz/4mb Cache Dual Core Intel Xeon 7130 Processors
> > -16MB 400Mhz DDR2 RAM (8x2GB to start, will handle 64GB total)
> > -Embedded PERC4e/Di RAID Controller
> > -6 300GB 10K RPM Ultra 320 SCSI hard drives configured in RAID 10 (3 striped 300GB
> > mirrors for a total of 900GB storage, machine will handle 10 SCSI drives and a 2 drive
> > media bay for future expansion, from my research this will give me the fastest possible
> > read/write speeds while maintaining full hot swap redundancy)
>
> Your post stuck in my head this evening Jim. Few more points I wanted
> to share. Those 8 cores are fed by (share) one 800Mhz FSB memory
> controller using UMA (Uniform Memory Access). This is where Opteron
> systems shine. Each Opteron has it's own memory controller. So you
> would have 4 memory controllers controlling 4 memory banks. However, I
> am not sure if NUMA (Non Uniform Memory Access) in the Linux kernel
> works with dual core cpu's. Maybe someone can chime in if they know.
> But I know 4 single core cpu's would enable NUMA support.

NUMA works with dual cores but it has no effect on a single chip dual
core as both cores already access the same RAM bank.

Opterons kick some serious bits when it comes to RAM access. During
testing prior to the APS installation, I determined that a single chip
dual core 2.6 GHz Opteron could perform about 30% faster than the same
setup with a dual core 2.8 GHz Xeon. Same hard drives (Ultra 320) and
both with 1GB RAM (and both HP servers running K12LTSP 5 beta 9). Using
teachertool, I launched 24 simultaneous oowriters. Th Xeons took 71
seconds while the Opterons only required 48. The numbers were more
dramatic on a reload (i.e. load, close and reload all 24 to run from
cache RAM). Xeon clocked in at 26 seconds while the Opterons smoked in
at just under 13!