Re: [K12OSN] Just about ready to make a purchase

On 5/9/07, James P. Kinney III <jkinney localnetsolutions com> wrote:
> Your post stuck in my head this evening Jim. Few more points I wanted
> to share. Those 8 cores are fed by (share) one 800Mhz FSB memory
> controller using UMA (Uniform Memory Access). This is where Opteron
> systems shine. Each Opteron has it's own memory controller. So you
> would have 4 memory controllers controlling 4 memory banks. However, I
> am not sure if NUMA (Non Uniform Memory Access) in the Linux kernel
> works with dual core cpu's. Maybe someone can chime in if they know.
> But I know 4 single core cpu's would enable NUMA support.

NUMA works with dual cores but it has no effect on a single chip dual
core as both cores already access the same RAM bank.

Thanks James, that's what I suspected. I remember reading that the
kernel disabled NUMA for dual core cpu's but that was a while ago. I
wonder if the kernel maintainers made some optimizations for dual core
cpu's with it's own memory controller since then?

--
Robert Arkiletian