[K12OSN] The Open Source Educator

Timothy Hart timothy.hart at gmail.com
Thu May 10 17:11:45 UTC 2007

You may remember about a year and a half ago I posted the following email:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2005-November/msg00498.html

If you don't feel like jumping to that link it was basically asking for
feedback about using the expertise on this and other FOSS related lists to
create some type of ezine. Something similar to tuxmagazine. One that would
include articles for all parties involved with FOSS in schools. Both the
techy folks and the regular desktop user. We have some good discussion
around it and even started a wiki talking about articles and what not.
However, after a while things kind of fizzled out. I think we all just got
too busy doing are own things and we didn't push far enough.

So, I am writing once again to encourage interested individuals to
participate in this endeavor. This time a little bit of the leg work and
structure has already been done. Going back through the list archives and
remembering what happened last time, I think there was too much pressure of
people creating the articles in Scribus and no one putting it all together.
We can fix this however.

My idea this time around is to have a communal blog where individuals can
author articles and publish them on the web. Once there are enough articles
a few people (who want to) can work on putting the downloadable ezine
together. The focus doesn't even have to be on a downloadable ezine either.
Having a blog with multiple authors from all tech levels and physical
regions would be a great resource for everyone involved with FOSS in
schools.

There was some good discussion last time so I think there is a niche for
something like this. So to get this thing started I have done some leg work
(which is up for discussion as well).

Doing this the easiest way, I created a blog at wordpress.com.
http://theopensourceeducator.wordpress.com/ (soon to be
www.theopensourceeducator.org). Wordpress is both easy to use and pretty
powerful to boot (GRUB of course, ha, bootloader joke).

I have also created a google group for discussion about TOSE and issues
around FOSS in education. http://groups.google.com/group/tose/. Again, I
used googlegroups because it was easy. I like easy. I think that is a good
thing here.

We also have the wiki that Dave Trask set up last time around. I would
suggest looking at that to see where we got to last time.
http://www.vcsvikings.org/tose/doku.php

Please come and discuss how we get this project of the ground. I will also
be posting this to the Edubuntu list. Any others are welcome. Feedback is
very welcome.

Tim Hart
Glenburn School