[K12OSN] Firefox crashes

Michael Blinn mblinn at peopleplaces.org
Thu May 10 18:52:54 UTC 2007

Well crap. I suppose that means my upgrade to FC6 planned for tomorrow
is not going to solve my problems then.
-Michael

Nadav Kavalerchik wrote:
> i just found out that i have this issue too :-( on a new old machine
> we just got from a junkyard.
> we use fc6 + ltsp 4.2 on the server. and the terminal has a i810 video
> card + 1M ram amongst other hardware.
>
> it crashes the X on clicking a specific site. thou right-click and
> open in a new window does not crash the firefox (ver 2.0.0.3
> <http://2.0.0.3>)
> also, opening the same site with Opera works fine (which is our main
> browser on a kde session)
>
> i'll try setting the video card driver manually to svga and see what
> happens... (tomorrow)
>
> On 5/4/07, *James P. Kinney III* <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
> <mailto:jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 16:40 -0400, Michael Blinn wrote:
>     > Disabling JavaScript makes everything work. The Bummer is that
>     the LAMP
>     > database I wrote for our staff uses quite a bit of JavaScript, so I
>     > can't turn it off for everyone. I think test #2309385 will be to
>     update
>     > to v6, which (I think) has a newer xorg, gnome and metacity, and
>     see if
>     > it still happens.. at least now we know the root cause.
>
>     Unless that site is a requirement, just block it at the server using
>     squidguard. Then you can leave javascript on.
>     >
>     > (By the way, when you say 'let them know', do you mean filing a
>     bugzilla
>     > report?)
>
>     Yes. File a bugzilla report. Since it is repeatable on your
>     chipset and
>     it is a very common chipset, let the firefox devs know.
>     >
>     > Thank you James & Jim for your help in whittling this down. I'll
>     keep
>     > you posted.
>     >
>     > Cheers,
>     >  Michael
>     >
>     > James P. Kinney III wrote:
>     > > THAT is interesting! So the browser is crashing the display
>     manager
>     > > during a nasty load in of javascript.
>     > >
>     > > Test #2309384 :)
>     > >
>     > > Open firefox, disable javascript and try it again. If it
>     doesn't crash,
>     > > it's a javascript bug in firefox. Let them know the version
>     and link for
>     > > the crash.
>     > >
>     > > Note: many site have lousy javascript that cause many
>     problems. The real
>     > > bug is on their end.
>     >
>     > K12OSN mailing list
>     > K12OSN at redhat.com <mailto:K12OSN at redhat.com>
>     > For more info see <http://www.k12os.org+>
>     --
>     James P. Kinney III
> [...]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message, and any attachments that may accompany it, contain information that is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or other use of this communication or any of the information, which it contains is unauthorized and prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the original sender by return mail and delete this message, along with any attachments, from your computer. Thank you.