[K12OSN] Which .NET for Linux - Windows Apps in Linux

Nick Hadgis nick.hadgis at gmail.com
Fri May 11 15:53:47 UTC 2007

Hi Levi,
Just so you know there are 2 ways to get the Renaissance Place web:
1) Have Renn Place host it (I was quoted $400 per year per site)
2) Host it yourself (you'll need a win2k/2k3 server and MS SQL server or
MSDE)

>From renn place's specs:
MSDE is a royalty-free database engine built on the core SQL Server
technology. It does not have the scalability of the full version of SQL
Server 2000. MSDE is suited for most school-level and classroom-level
installations, and may be sufficient for smaller districts. Larger district
installations will require upgrading to a full SQL Server 2000 license.

I saw this on another listserv about getting firefox on linux to work with
Accelerated Reader, I've never tried this.

I have finally figured out how to make renplace run under linux.

Install all available required plugins for firefox under linux.  This will
not work from the renplace software requirements check since it gags on
non-support browsers.  Apparently doesn't like acrobat reader 8 either.

But no big deal.  Get 'em from their respective vendor's websites.

Next, get the user agent switcher plugin for firefox:

And the additional user agent "disguises":
http://techpatterns.com/forums/about304.html

Set the user-agent switcher to multizilla (xp).

Voila it works, and doesn't whine about missing plugins, etc.

I have a 5mb swf animation of it working on my home workstation (CentOS 4.4)
if anyone is interested.

Feels good to cut the chain on one of several boat-anchors :)

On 5/11/07, Kemp, Levi <lnkemp at bolivar.k12.mo.us> wrote:

> Then I still shouldn't have an issue with them using it, aside from the
> "RLI print plugin" right? Using Scholastic Software meant we were going to
> need Microsoft Terminal Services and at that point the other tech just said
> then why do we need Linux at all? So I'm trying this route both to create
> some consistency between schools, and ease the load on us. Have you used
> Renaissance Place on a Linux Client before?
>
> Levi

H: 707.279.2846
M: 707.293.5091
W: 707.987.4100 x106