[K12OSN] some scripting help

Ray Garza ray at mission.lib.tx.us
Fri May 11 18:10:00 UTC 2007

On Friday 11 May 2007 10:43:33 am Ray Garza wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm trying to convince my boss to expand K12LTSP services to include some
> PC's in the Children's Department (I work at a public Library) and a
> separate room we use to allow Chatting and Guest computers. But, before I
> can do the expansion, I need to come up with a way to copy Firefox Cache
> from each account to a single folder for his inspection.
>
> I was thinking that a script could do the job. Let me demonstrate what the
> script should do.
>
> get this
> /home/P042024/.../cache/somefilename
>
> to this
> /somefolder/P042024somefilename.jpg
>
> Do it for every account on the server.
>
> Scan all the home folders, find firefox cache and attach the account name
> to the beginning of the filename and attach ".jpg" to the end.
>
> Maybe add to copy only files that are within two weeks
>
> If I can get something like that and demonstrate it then I have the green
> light to expand Linux usage in out Library.
>
> You know I'm have a Deja Vu moment. I thought I'd posted something like
> this before but I couldn't find it in the archives.
>
> PS: I would like to learn scripting - any good books that you can
> recommend?

Hey thanks everyone for the help. The script that Huck showed was a good
starting point for me to make the changes to fit my boss specific
requirements.

Thanks, Dan for the book recommendation. I hope it's in stock at Barnes and
Knoble otherwise I'll order it online. I'll also take a look at the other
link you provided. That webpage has everything in a 128 page PDF.

I'm slowly turning this Library from an all Windows shop to a mixed
environment.

Ray Garza
Coordinator of Computer Services
Speer Memorial Library