[K12OSN] some scripting help

Ray Garza rgarza28 at gmail.com
Sat May 12 14:38:13 UTC 2007

On Saturday 12 May 2007 08:50:33 Nils Breunese wrote:

>     ls /home/$account/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/cache 2>/dev/null

I just saw this on a link that I've been reading up on at
http://www.faqs.org/docs/abs/HTML/zeros.html

> > I plan to run it as a cron job
> > but I don't want the error messages popping up on the screen. Is there a
> > way to suppress the error message? Will putting it in a cron job log the
> > error but not display it?
>
> I believe by default any output generated by cron jobs is mailed to the
> user the script runs as. You can override the address by setting MAILTO=
> in the crontab. You can also redirect all output of the cron job to
> /dev/null:
>
>     /path/to/script >/dev/null 2>&1

Ok, it's a little different here

> You can find more information on I/O redirection here:
> <http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/io-redirection.html>
>
> Nils Breunese.

Thanks for the input.

With this script I should be able to convince my boss to go ahead and expand
K12LTSP coverage further into the library. Thanks everyone for your help.

Ray