[K12OSN] Building a Print server

pogson robert.pogson at gmail.com
Fri May 18 13:09:30 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-18-05 at 08:50 -0400, Jeremy Schubert wrote:
"I have currently implemented a Fedora Core 6 (soon to be moved to
Centos 5) print server using CUPS.  I'm moving all my users to printing
to the queues on this server (both Windows, Mac, and Linux).  You should
follow the instructions for using the CUPS/MS postscript drivers so you
can easily deploy to Windows clients using a login script.  The CUPS/MS
drivers don't need local admin access for the user to use the queues....
So no more adding special printer drivers to each client for each
printer... they all use the same CUPS/MS drivers.  The next step for me
is to use pykota.    I've got a central view of all the print jobs now
so I can see if something is jammed."

---------
I usually put the printer server on the LTSP server so that I have
central control. If you have multiple LTSP servers you can put it on the
DHCP/LDAP/NFS server. Check your load and memory. The file server may be
idling and you can have one less box in the system.

Robert Pogson
--
A problem is an opportunity.