[K12OSN] SDL - unable to initialize video errors

Dan Young dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us
Mon May 21 17:40:38 UTC 2007

Carl Keil wrote:
> PS - Is it risky to turn nightly Yum off on a production box?  It seems
> risky to leave it on, because stuff like this happens, but is it analogous
> to not running update on a windows box, in that I'm leaving myself open to
> security vulnerabilities?

I think it's risky to leave it _on_, personally. Some daemons misbehave
after an update in my experience (Samba and CUPS come to mind); other
updates ought to be followed by a reboot (kernel, glibc). I'd rather
know what the updates are, apply them judiciously, and test the
associated services posthaste.

I've done a silly little shell scripts like this (run out of cron) for
this reason. It nags me daily about outstanding updates:

#####
#!/bin/sh
YUM="yum -d 0 -e 0"
if $YUM check-update &> /dev/null    # if yum returns zero
then
    :                                # do nothing
else
    echo "updates for `hostname`"    # tell me
    $YUM -C list updates             # what updates are there?
fi
#####

--
Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us>