[K12OSN] Client Ram

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri May 25 04:58:40 UTC 2007

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On 5/24/07, Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 5/23/07, Terrell Prude' Jr. <microman at cmosnetworks.com> wrote:
>> > I've found that you only need 32MB DRAM on your clients.  For several
>> > years, up to and including today, I run Pentium-166 clients with 32MB
>> > DRAM, and no, I don't have NFS swap turned on.  Not once has a client
>> > died on me...and I run a whole lot of Firefox sessions and other
>> things,
>> > simultaneously, on one client (OpenOffice.org, The GIMP, multiple
>> > Konqueror sessions, GAIM, etc.).  Remember, this stuff runs on the
>> > server, not the client.  Heck, I've run ancient Power Mac 5260 and
>> Power
>> > Mac 5500 clients with 32MB DRAM, and they work just fine.  So you're
>> > certainly safe with 64MB DRAM in your iPaqs
>> >

>> Curious Terrell, on your 32MB client:
>> what color depth were you using?
>
> forgot to ask resolution.
>
>> what kind of video card were you using?
>> how much ram did the video card have?

1024x768x24bpp.  My video board, a Matrox Millenium G400 with 16MB video
RAM, allows this.  Same for my boxes with ATI 3D Rage Pro video boards
(8MB video RAM).  I also successfully use S3 Trio64 boards with 2MB
video RAM at 1024x768x16bpp.  Most of my thin clients have 32MB main
memory, and most are Pentium-166's, though a few do have 64MB.  I've
seen no difference.

Now, what *does* make a difference in performance is the video board.
Oh My God, does it make a difference!  The client with the Millenium
G400 can do anything--MPlayer video, TuxRacer, you name it without
slowing down.  The ATI 3D Rage Pro isn't quite fast enough to keep up
with 640x480 MPlayer video (you need to use the -framedrop switch),
though it'll do 320x240 just fine.  The S3 Trio64 is--barely--good
enough for TuxType, but forget about watching videos; that said, it's
just fine for Mozilla/Firefox/OpenOffice.org-type stuff.

I've done all this without ever--once--using NFSSwap, and except for the
occasional hardware failure (e. g. DRAM or NIC goes bad), my clients
don't crash.

--TP
Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus