Re: [K12OSN] sudden appearance of grey X

Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

Do you know if the desktop came up on the console?  It sounds like you
might be in runlevel 3 instead of 5 on the server.  You might find
something in the servers /var/log/Xorg.0.log if it is trying to start
and failing there too.  The fact that vnc won't start a session makes me
think this is something on the server side but I'm not sure how to tell
remotely if it is at the basic X level or in the window manager startup.
You might also look through /var/log/messages and the output of dmesg on
the server to see if you are getting disk errors - it could be failing
to load some needed file due to a hardware problem.

	who -r says "run-level 5"

	I never bothered to get the gui on the console going, since I
rarely if ever use it. This was not a problem before.i

I've usually had trouble not having the gui console if I wanted XDMCP and vnc to start sessions. And it might be easier to find logged error messages if the console session is failing the same way.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com