Re: [K12OSN] Sanity check needed before rollout

Hi David,

Why does disk speed matter so much? Aren't most operations on a file
server fairly small scale i/o once or twice a session i.e. opening a
saved document, and writing a saved document.?

Thanks for your input!

John

On 5/29/07, David Trask <dtrask vcsvikings org> wrote:
"Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn redhat com> on
Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 1:50 PM +0000 wrote:
>The file server worries me, not because of horsepower or RAM, but
>because you don't mention drive speed.  The file server should be
>able to do a lot of continuous seek/write operations, and I've only
>ever had luck with SCSI for that.  Others may like SATA, but I
>haven't had the experience to say either way.

I concur.....disk speed is key.  I use 15,000 RPM SCSI disks....and would
recommend the same.  SCSI is more expensive...yes, but in the real
world....that SCSI disk is going to last a LONG time.  I've been running
Linux Terminal servers throughout my school since 2001 and have yet to
have a failure (*furiously knocking on wood*)  :-)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask vcsvikings org