[K12OSN] sudden appearance of grey X - fixed

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed May 30 15:17:44 UTC 2007

Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

> Ooops. Les,
> 	getting Gnome working on the console fixed the problem of gray X for VNC
> sessions and for the terminals. I am truly sorry that I've neglected to
> write the amended post. Yes, you -were- right :-)  Hearty thanks!
>
> 	I am still baffled by the connection - why does the fixing GDm on
> console help the terminals and by the actual event - why did a functioning
> system suddenly stopped working when there were -no- changes done to
> software.

Runlevel 5 tries to start the console session and gdm and apparently
stops if the console doesn't work.  Somewhere I've seen the config
change needed to not bother with the console session but I've forgotten
it.  After gdm is working I think you can modify xorg.conf and
start/restart the console session if you want to put the broken copy
back and see if you can find what it is complaining about in the log.
It could be something like needing to auto-detect the monitor
capabilities for the screen resolution you have set but the monitor is
unplugged or powered down.

--
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com