[K12OSN] RE: Sanity check needed before rollout

Jim Christiansen jim.c.christiansen at gmail.com
Wed May 30 16:19:13 UTC 2007

To add to what David Trask had to say..

Use SCSI if you can!  I don't!

I have used IDE drives and now SATA.  We just can't afford SCSI disks.  I've
had three or four early failures of these drives.  Make and model makes no
difference.  They just can't seem to take the vast seeks/reads/writes like
SCSIs can.  I've been on this list asking questions about
remounting/formatting/fixing perms bla bla bla for years.

SCSI

Also, be sure you have a well wired solid network.  Mixed up twisted pairs,
unshielded cat5e over florescent ballasts and too many unterminated
cables/antennas can cause havoc.  Sometimes causing trouble on a parallel
windows system before impacting your Linux/LTSP boxes; and really making
life rough on the techs,  who may blame the linux boxes rather than the poor
network or the virused-up-windows station first!!

<end rant>

Jim