[K12OSN] Scripting help make link desktop to old home folder

Krsnendu dasa krsnendu108 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 19:10:06 UTC 2007

We have moved our users to a new server. We have created new home
directories for each user.
Users would like to access their previous home directories to access files.
Can someone help me with a script to create a link on the desktop to their
old files.

I have the basic logic of it but don't know the commands.

The script will be something like:

For all users do this
ln -s /home/old/home/<username> /home/<username>/desktop/oldhome

Just need to figure out how to get the user name into the command and
recurse the usernames.
Probably the easiest way is to go through the /home directory and strip off
the /home/ part to get the username.

Can anyone help me out? It seems simple in theory.