[K12OSN] CUPS update breaks landscape printing from OS X to HP printers

Jon Harder linuxk12 at mountainlake.k12.mn.us
Wed Nov 7 15:32:49 UTC 2007

This week I updated CUPS to version 1.2.12-4.fc6 to fix a
mysterious problem that recently popped up. The good news is
that the problem was solved (jobs were just hanging in the
queue for no reason obvious to me).

The bad news is that users on OS X (10.3 and 10.4) have lost
the ability to print landscape documents. It doesn't
do the 90 degree rotation. I use mainly HP printers (on old
Apple 8500 worked fine). PCs do not seem to be affected.

I can "print" the document to a postscript file on an OS X
computer and the submit the job by hand using lpr on the command
line and it prints fine. Obviously that's not much of a solution
for students and teachers.

I've seen some references to this problem doing a web search,
but no answers.

Suggestions?

--
Jon Harder
Mountain Lake (Minnesota) Public Schools