[K12OSN] Emails for large districts

Todd O'Bryan toddobryan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 21:37:12 UTC 2007

Our district has about 16,000 employees of varying types and is
currently using a web-based Exchange server to do email. The system is
slow, clunky, and the database is getting full, so we've been told to
clean out our mailboxes because they're going to delete all mail older
than 30 days.

My question is this--does anyone have experience with a system that
will scale reasonably to that many users. If so, we have about 90,000
students. Know of a system that will scale that big? The head IT guy
tells me that he was quoted a commercial cost of between $250k and
$500k for a system that would handle us, and, while that doesn't
surprise me, I think something effective could be done much more
economically.

I'm just wondering if there's anything I can point to and say, see!

Todd