[K12OSN] Emails for large districts

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Thu Nov 15 03:23:56 UTC 2007

Check out www.real-time.com.  They are a 'Linux solutions provider' and
offer things like large-scale email server setups.  I think they
generally favor Postfix.  I talked with the president a year or two ago,
as he described how in some cases they split the mail process over
several machines for security and scalability.  He also delighted in
telling how they setup their install server with the MAC addresses of
each of the component machines, such that when they boot up, they are
each fed an installation script that installs their respective
components; they startup the server, turn on the client machines, and go
to lunch; when they come back, everything is all setup and ready to go!

Anyway, they seem to know what they are doing, although I have not
actually used their services professionally.  The company was started
about ten years ago by a bunch of people from the local LUG.

And I agree with Jim, that you don't want to tackle this one on your
own.  If the district is already looking at $250k pricetag, any decent
Linux vendor should be able to beat that handily and still cover all the
bases.

Peter