[K12OSN] Emails for large districts

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Nov 15 18:01:31 UTC 2007

Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> But home grown alternatives work for many such as Colleges, and even many ISP's, but
> they have very well trained staff to handle it.  With the risk of discrediting myself (I
> am IT in K-12 schools), most K-12 schools don't have as knowledgeable and well trained
> staff.

How far has anyone pushed the 'appliance' systems like SME server?  I
wouldn't expect problems up to a few thousand users except the web
interface for user management might become cumbersome, and you might
bump it up by mounting something like a netapp filer for the home
directories.  If there are any natural domain boundries to split users,
you might be able to break things out across several boxes.  Managing
them is easy enough that having several wouldn't be a problem and it's
usually cheaper to buy several average servers than one monster.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com