[K12OSN] nfs troubles

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Nov 16 20:08:05 UTC 2007

Roger wrote:
> On Nov 16, 2007 10:54 AM, "Terrell Prudé Jr." <microman at cmosnetworks.com> wrote:
>
>>  Yep, older Macs have always had challenges with the switch running the full
>> spanning tree algorithm.  It is known to play havoc with DHCP on Macs in
>> particular.
>>
>>  Some switches might not let you actually disable the spanning tree protocol
>> (STP).  Cisco IOS-based switches, like 3550's, number among these.  However,
>> you can put it into what's called "fast learning" mode.  Basically, this
>> means two to four seconds instead of nearly 30 for the port to come up once
>> you fire up the iMac client.  Works like a champ.  My iMac Bondi was much
>> happier afterwards.
>>

> isn't it called "port fast" on the cisco?

Indeed it is.  The command on IOS-based switches is "spanning-tree
portfast", and on CatOS switches, "set spantree portfast x/y", where x
is the blade #, and y is the port # on that blade.

> I first ran into the problem on a Novell network.  The novell login
> wanted to go before the port was active.  After it was finally on the
> network, then the normal login came up.  No novell login (Or something
> to that effect).  hmm. maybe they *did* get the novell login, but
> didn't have an IP address.  (novel 4.something with IPX/SPX)

Yep, I can see that happening.  Remember that, with IPX/SPX, the network
address is done by MAC address (not so with IPv4), and the addresses are
thus auto-assigned (no DHCP).  IPv6 "borrowed" this little trick and
thus doesn't need DHCP any more than IPX does.

--TP