[K12OSN] SATA driver for K12LTSP 6, help needed.

Gustav Kramer gjk_lists at rogers.com
Sat Nov 17 00:18:46 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 22:36 +0100, Dagfinn Stangeland wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2007 2:53 PM, Gustav Kramer <gjk_lists at rogers.com> wrote:
>
>         On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 13:57 +0100, Dagfinn Stangeland wrote:
>         > On Nov 15, 2007 3:42 PM, Sudev Barar <sbarar at gmail.com>
>         wrote:
>         >         On 15/11/2007, Dagfinn Stangeland <
>         jodgipost at gmail.com> wrote:
>         >         >
>         >         > When I try to install K12LTSP 6  and the EL
>         variant the
>         >         anaconda (is it?)
>         >         > installer asks for a driver for the optical drive,
>         and won't
>         >         continue.
>         >         >
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         >         Try passing on some additional parameters like
>         noapic at the
>         >         boot
>         >         time. Some times this works.
>         >         --
>         >         Regards,
>         >         Sudev Barar
>         >
>         >
>         > Thanks for the reply.
>         >
>         > I tried to type "linux noapic" and "linux noprobe noapic" at
>         boot
>         > time, as you suggested.
>         > The installer still asks for a driver and "Intel PIIX/ICH
>         ATA
>         > controllers (ata-piix)" is present on the list of drivers.
>         > When I choose that driver the installer responds "can't find
>         any
>         > devices for that driver...".
>         > Then back to the driver selection dialog.
>         >
>         > I know little of such boot time parameters, and though I
>         found a list
>         > of such parameters, I'm unable to discern which parameters
>         could be
>         > useful for my problem.
>         >
>         > Obviously, the DVD drive works up to that point in whatever
>         mode that
>         > is.
>         > Is there any way of continuing the installation in that
>         mode?
>         > Could I pull the (unknown) needed driver off the fedora 7 or
>         8 install
>         > media and use that via an usb memory stick?
>         >
>         > Regards,
>         > Dagfinn Stangeland
>

>         Not really an answer to your question but a possible solution
>         to your
>         problem might be to do a network install by placing the DVD
>         ISO on an
>         NFS share on a second machine and selecting that option
>         instead of local
>         media as the source when you do the install.
>
>         Just a thought.
>

> And probably a good thought at that.
> Problem is; I'm having trouble chewing gum and walking at the same
> [...]

I'm currently working on a paper that's due Sunday evening so,
unfortunately, I can't give you a lot at the moment, but, in a nutshell:

Place a copy of the DVD ISO on another linux box on the network

On the linux box with the DVD ISO edit /etc/exports to include the
directory holding the ISO - see the existing file for examples but it
would probably be something like:
/path/to/iso	192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(ro,no_root_squash,sync)

Restart the nfs server - for Fedora:  /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs restart

Boot the machine you are wanting to install to with the install cd and
when you get to the part where it asks you where to install from choose
the network option - Ignore the http and ftp options, there should be
one that says (and here is where I'm really guessing since it's been
awhile) something about NFS.

You will be asked how to assign an ip address to the machine you are
installing to.  If you have a DHCP server great, if not give it an
address in the same range as the box containing the iso.

You will then be asked for the location of the iso - you will have to
give it the ip address of the box with the iso AND the
location: /path/to/iso

The details may not be exact but they should get you close. I have to
get back to my paper - If you're still messing around with it come
Monday and someone else hasn't jumped in I will be glad to talk you
through it.

Good luck.

- gustav