[K12OSN] upgrade openoffice

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 21:53:57 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 20 November 2007 00:50, Edwardson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using K12LTSP 5EL. How do I upgrade the openoffice to the current
> version.

I started with a new install (no users yet). I de-selected all the Openoffice
RPMs during installation, knowing that I wanted to install v2.3 instead of
v2.0.4 that comes "in the box". You could also accomplish the same thing
after the fact by using "yum remove ..." for all the openoffice packages.

Anyway, after unpacking the tarball downloaded from the OpenOffice site you
just change into the directory with all the RPMs in it and then:

	rpm -Uvh *.rpm

After that make sure you go to the desktop support directory (from the same
archive) and install the RedHat desktop package found there (don't recall the
exact paths).

Last step was to exclude openoffice* in /etc/yum.conf so that the first update
doesn't try to download v2.0.x packages any more. Your updates need to come
from OpenOffice.org from now on.

BTW I did a similar thing with Firefox v2.0.0.9 to replace v1.5.x that comes
with K12LTSP5EL.

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |