[K12OSN] LTSP in libraries - HELP!

Jim Anderson gotthin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 15:42:41 UTC 2007

Hello All,

I am in charge of the computers at my local library.  We have 18
public computers running Windows XP and Envisionware software for
session control and printing.  The library is beginning an expansion
that will increase the number of public computers by 50% plus add a
classroom with more computers.  As I have a large part in the
decision-making in this area I would like to find a Free alternative
to having a slew of Vista computers installed.  The library has had
good results with XP because of the "DeepFreeze" security software
that is installed.  However an upgrade to Vista will be very costly
and I am totally unconvinced that it would be a smooth transition and
maintenance will be incessant.

I have experience with K12LTSP since helping with a computer lab this
past year.  I would like to bring the stability, reliability and lower
cost of ownership that I have experienced with LTSP to the library.
Instead of buying 25+ new Vista computers the library could buy
dedicated thin clients and new monitors.  The library will see an
ongoing cost saving in electricity costs, as well.  I had been looking
at a Windows-based terminal server solution, but I can't get away from
the fear that one user could do something that would require the
reboot of the whole system, or worse.  In my mind LTSP is the only way
to go.

As well as using a lighweight locked-down desktop I need to have some
way to control session lengths, create reservations (preferably a
self-service kiosk) and store print jobs in a queue for release by by
the user.  The system would have to be able to interface with a
payment system, such as Jamex, for payment of print jobs, and it would
have to be able to read library card barcodes for making reservations
and for print release.

So my question is: "Does anyone know of any Linux systems that would
work with LTSP and meet these requirements?"

Thank you,
Jim Anderson