[K12OSN] LTSP in libraries - HELP!

Jim Anderson gotthin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 17:00:37 UTC 2007

I don't think Linux, or people knowledgeable in Linux, is going away.  In
fact, quite the opposite.  In the wake of Microsoft's bloated operating
system, Vista, I think more admins will be looking for an alternate that is
more stable and best utilizes hardware and existing peripherals.

Quest?  Maybe.  But I'm taking a very pragmatic approach to this.  I do not
work for a large corporation that can bankroll anything they want... I work
for a library that gets funds from a portion of taxes collected.  Maybe
through fund-raising we could afford to buy new computers and software this
year, but what about the next refresh cycle for this stuff?  The fact is the
library won't have the budget to replace all the new computers they buy this
year in 3 to 5 years.  That I can put into place a system that meets our
needs and would cost a minimum amount of funds to upgrade in the next
refresh cycle (and the next, and the next after that) is what I call
sustainable.

Jim