[K12OSN] LTSP 5 with IBM Netvista 2200 clients

Adam Drake ja_drake at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 19:19:13 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm a school teacher in a large secondary school in the UK. As part of
a senior class project, I'm working with some students to try and build
a cheap thin-client network using trailing-edge equipment.

I have just installed Edubuntu 7.10 (with LTSP 5 installed) on a server
and am trying to get some IBM Netvista 2200 thin clients to connect.

I have upgraded the firmware and have tried to get the clients to
network boot vmlinux-2.4.19-LTSP-IBMNC but it boots half-way and hangs
trying to load nfs.

Obviously, I would post loads to details, but I thought I'd start
simple - is there anyone out there who has successfully connected to
LTSP 5 with an N2200 and can offer help and advice to a novice?

I've trawled the net for the last few weeks and read loads of pages
about such a challenge. I've also tried most of the things mentioned,
but to no success. I'm not linux-experienced enough to be able to solve
the problems myself, so thought I'd ask for help.

Cheers,

Adam