[K12OSN] Nautilus can't be used now, due to an unexpected error

Joe Korzeniewski jkorzeni at battle-creek.k12.mi.us
Mon Nov 12 11:59:52 UTC 2007

I have a script that does a killall -u stuX where X is the student number that a teacher can run to do a quick reset of her lab. I have encountered that problem and it is due to a process that doesn't quit, sometimes nautilus, sometimes firefox and sometimes applets like the clock. The best thing I have found is to just kill all that user's running processes so they can start with a clean slate. I am guessing you may not use autologin with numbered accounts like I do. You might want to make a script that parses /etc/group and finds the student group (assuming you have created one) and does a killall -u for each entry. Alternatively, you could make a script that prompts the teacher with zenity for who to do a killall for. I decided to do it for everybody since that way the teacher only had one button to press that would solve most of the common problems. It's not the most terribly elegant solution, but it is sure effective.

-Joe

>>> Hung Phan <phanh at canby.k12.or.us> 11/9/2007 5:37 PM >>>
Ran into many issues with K12LTSP v6 :(
Have anyone able to get K12LTSP runs trouble-free with default settings?
The latest issue we have is: Nautilus can't be used now, due to an
unexpected error.
More details: Nautilus can't be used now, due to an unexpected error
from Bonobo when attempting to locate the factory. Killing Bonobo-
activation-server and restarting Nautilus may help fix the problem.

We kill bonobo processes, nautilus processes, and pam-panel.icon,
still not able to login to user account without the screen disappear
on us.
All screens just flash and disappear.

Thank you very much,