[K12OSN] Anyone got Gutsy Gibbon authenticating against LDAP

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Mon Nov 12 17:46:39 UTC 2007

Brian Chivers wrote:
> I've been trying for the last couple of days to get a new Edubuntu
> install to authenticate against our LDAP server setup by the
> smbldap-installer script.
>
> It all seems to work but using
>
> $ ./smbldap ldapclient
>
> but when I do a reboot it takes a really long time to restart.
>
> Reading on the web I think that it's trying to access the ldap stuff
> BEFORE eth0 is pulled up hence no connection.
>
> Has anyone got any advice, as all I've been able to do so far is to lock
> myself out the box yet again :-)

Notice that there is an /etc/ldap.conf file and an /etc/ldap/ldap.conf
file on Gutsy.  I have used Jim's how-to to setup clients and servers to
authenticate off of an existing smbldap server

http://www.1-cs.com/ubuntu_ldap_howto.txt

but have to modify one of these files by hand.  Otherwise it
authenticates and works just fine.  Reboot into rescue mode if you have
hosed your current configs.

> Brian Chivers
> Portsmouth College

--scott