[K12OSN] Emails for large districts

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Wed Nov 14 21:53:33 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 16:37 -0500, Todd O'Bryan wrote:
> Our district has about 16,000 employees of varying types and is
> currently using a web-based Exchange server to do email. The system is
> slow, clunky, and the database is getting full, so we've been told to
> clean out our mailboxes because they're going to delete all mail older
> than 30 days.
>
> My question is this--does anyone have experience with a system that
> will scale reasonably to that many users. If so, we have about 90,000
> students. Know of a system that will scale that big? The head IT guy
> tells me that he was quoted a commercial cost of between $250k and
> $500k for a system that would handle us, and, while that doesn't
> surprise me, I think something effective could be done much more
> economically.
>
> I'm just wondering if there's anything I can point to and say, see!
----
trying to be a hero?

someone is gonna have to be responsible for the thing and that would
seem to be the head IT guy. Perhaps he isn't knowledgeable about e-mail
systems and just wants to dump off responsibility to someone else (i.e.
a contractor) but who can blame him...it's a job.

Cyrus-IMAPd - clearly the tiger in the tank...

http://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/pipermail/info-cyrus/2007-October/027147.html

Check out this months Linux Journal - precisely on topic

Craig