[K12OSN] Emails for large districts

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Nov 15 02:50:12 UTC 2007

Yes.  Either Postfix or Sendmail for the MTA (I find Postfix easier),
and either Courier-IMAP or Dovecot for the IMAP part.  Either will scale
to what you're talking about.  Matter of fact, at the University of
Washington (my alma mater) which has over 35,000 students, the MTA of
choice was in fact Sendmail.  The IMAP daemon was and still is, as you
might imagine, UW-IMAP.  :-)  However, I would strongly recommend the
use of Maildirs, which Courier-IMAP, Dovecot, and Postfix all support.
Maildirs make a mail server even more scalable than the traditional MBOX
format does, and maildir mailstores are more fault-tolerant.

If you want to scale to 16,000+, then MS Exchange Server is about the
worst way you can go.  I say that as a former Exchange Server
administrator and one who now watches our district wrestle with Exchange
Server 2003 for 20,000+ staff.  Their maintenance is hell.

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate
antivirus protection!