[K12OSN] Emails for large districts

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Nov 15 16:36:04 UTC 2007

> We use a system based on atmail, it's only the webmail interface but it works
> OK. I have to be very honest and say that there tech support isn't great,
>  we've been waiting almost a month to get a problem solved where some emails
> aren't rendered properly if there headers are malformed.
>
> Now this might be because we're running the webmail interface on top of a
> mixture of Dovecot & Exim and not there all in one solution but I've been
> disappointed that this issue has been on going for so long.
>
> Brian Chivers
> Portsmouth College

Thanks for the input Brian.  That is good feedback.  I have not yet had the opportunity
to use them, so knowing their support isn't as timely as they claim is a plus.

I imaging their support is less responsive in a mixed environment, but that shouldn't
matter.

And to qualify my previous posts, I think there is nothing wrong with home built
solutions (that is all I use, at my schools and for my business and customers).  But
since the original poster isn't the head of the IT department, and they are accustomed
to Exchange and plan on spending big money anyhow, I think a packaged solution with
outside vendor support based on open source is the best option and will still save a ton
of money.  Otherwise I know they won't even listen.  And likely the IT department isn't
well versed in Linux otherwise they probably would be looking for an Exchange
alternative on their own.

But home grown alternatives work for many such as Colleges, and even many ISP's, but
they have very well trained staff to handle it.  With the risk of discrediting myself (I
am IT in K-12 schools), most K-12 schools don't have as knowledgeable and well trained
staff.

Jim