[K12OSN] nfs troubles

Roger roger.in.eugene at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 18:59:37 UTC 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 10:54 AM, "Terrell Prudé Jr." <microman at cmosnetworks.com> wrote:
>  Yep, older Macs have always had challenges with the switch running the full
> spanning tree algorithm.  It is known to play havoc with DHCP on Macs in
> particular.
>
>  Some switches might not let you actually disable the spanning tree protocol
> (STP).  Cisco IOS-based switches, like 3550's, number among these.  However,
> you can put it into what's called "fast learning" mode.  Basically, this
> means two to four seconds instead of nearly 30 for the port to come up once
> you fire up the iMac client.  Works like a champ.  My iMac Bondi was much
> happier afterwards.

isn't it called "port fast" on the cisco?

I first ran into the problem on a Novell network.  The novell login
wanted to go before the port was active.  After it was finally on the
network, then the normal login came up.  No novell login (Or something
to that effect).  hmm. maybe they *did* get the novell login, but
didn't have an IP address.  (novel 4.something with IPX/SPX)