[K12OSN] SATA driver for K12LTSP 6, help needed.

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Sat Nov 17 10:32:45 UTC 2007

Dagfinn Stangeland wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2007 1:18 AM, Gustav Kramer <gjk_lists at rogers.com
> <mailto:gjk_lists at rogers.com>> wrote:
>

>     Place a copy of the DVD ISO on another linux box on the network
>
>     On the linux box with the DVD ISO edit /etc/exports to include the
>     directory holding the ISO - see the existing file for examples but it
>     would probably be something like:
>     /path/to/iso    192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(ro,no_root_squash,sync)
>     <http://192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0%28ro,no_root_squash,sync%29>
>
>     Restart the nfs server - for Fedora:  /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs restart
>
>     Boot the machine you are wanting to install to with the install cd and
>     when you get to the part where it asks you where to install from
>     choose
>     the network option - Ignore the http and ftp options, there should be
>     one that says (and here is where I'm really guessing since it's been
>     awhile) something about NFS.
>
>     You will be asked how to assign an ip address to the machine you are
>     installing to.  If you have a DHCP server great, if not give it an
>     address in the same range as the box containing the iso.
>
>     You will then be asked for the location of the iso - you will have to
>     give it the ip address of the box with the iso AND the
>     location: /path/to/iso
>
>     The details may not be exact but they should get you close. I have to
>     get back to my paper - If you're still messing around with it come
>     Monday and someone else hasn't jumped in I will be glad to talk you
>     through it.
>
>     Good luck.
>
>     - gustav
>
> Thanks, that's detailed enough for me to get the drift.
> Good luck on the paper!
Dagfinn:
I might add a few more details to Gustav's suggestion.
First, read here for specific installation instructions:
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-steps-network-installs-x86.html#id3216250
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-begininstall-nfs-x86.html

On the "other" linux machine on your network, where you place the DVD
iso file, make sure that your iptables rules allows all access from the
local network (where the new machine will be connected). On that machine
you'll need to start both nfs and portmap.

WHen you boot up the new machine with the DVD, type at the first command
prompt "linux askmethod" and then you'll get the screen to choose to
install from an nfs server. When it asks for the nfs server, type in the
IP of the "other" linux machine, and the path to the iso file on that
machine (see above links).

That should get you going quickly. Good luck,
Micha

--
Micha Silver
Arava Development Co, Sapir, Israel