[K12OSN] Re: nfs troubles

Jon Harder linuxk12 at mountainlake.k12.mn.us
Mon Nov 19 17:31:07 UTC 2007

I don't think my problem has to do with spanning tree. The ProCurve 1800
switch does not use it.

The switch does have a configuration option called "flow control" that
helps considerably. Once I turn that on, all of my old iMacs will get
past the NFS mount part and come up to the welcome screen.

Once they are up and running, I can log users in, but any intense application
like firefox or openoffice will cause it to freeze or reboot (except for
a newer slot-loading model which seems to work just fine).

Suggestions elsewhere indicate that this problem might be solved by reducing
network traffic between the server and client by ensuring the the clients
connect to NFS using TCP instead of UDP, but I don't know how to do that.
Is that avenue worth a try?

--
Jon Harder
Mountain Lake (Minnesota) Public Schools