[K12OSN] OT: Bash help

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Nov 21 05:58:19 UTC 2007

Peter Hartmann wrote:
> Oh...my...god, that was easy!
>
>> No substitute for experience. My
>> hat's off to you Les. I'm glad you're on this list.
>
>  Here Here, thank you both!  I was searching for that in google too.
> My searchers were something like, 'append to another file bash '.  I
> didn't find anything.  Plus my natural tendency is to think, "nah,
> that would be too easy."
>
> Also perl and python are looking more sensical now...so thanks for
> that too.  Funny how a vested interest will open doors.  Maybe that's
> just how I learn...

I guess there is some advantage to being old...  Back in the days before
X was included, the entire set of manual pages for the standard unix
utilities fit in a fairly small book that you could easily flip through
to see what each did and why you might want to use it.  Now that there
are thousands of programs instead of a few hundred, I'm not sure how you
would pick out the old core set that did pretty much every operation you
might want with lines of text.  These have a lot to do with the reasons
we still like unix-like systems and they still work just as well as
ever.  Back then, the shell didn't have arrays and no one thought it
needed them since you mostly used a sequence of tools to do all the work.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com