[K12OSN] LTSP in libraries - HELP!

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Nov 23 22:09:53 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 14:29 -0500, Conrad Lawes wrote:
> I appreciate all the merits of Open Source. However,  if there's no
> comparable open source option that will offer the same, if not better,
> end result then it's counter-productive to suggest an open source
> solution simply because it's not MS.

I think it is counter-productive to continue to use a dangerously
insecure platform that actively promotes destroying the freedom of users
to learn. Regardless of the perceived advantages of application ABC, the
conversion as quickly as possible to a platform that actively encourages
experimentation, growth and knowledge transferal more than makes up for
application XYZ being "different" or even "less advanced" than it's ABC
counterpart. The sooner the conversion happens, the sooner the real,
underlying benefits can be realized. Even if the proprietary platforms
and software were all available legally at no monetary expense, the
"freedom to tinker" aspect of open source would still more than justify
it's near exclusive use in academia.

> For instance, suggesting a solution that is going to require replacing
> the current library system back-end just to satisfy the client-side
> requirements, IMHO would be over-kill, if not costly.

When the cash out of pocket for the conversion from a closed,
proprietary system to an open, free system is on the same order as the
annual support cost of the closed system, it is financially prudent to
convert as quickly as possible.

> It seems to me that Jim is perfectly happy with the XP solution that
> is presently in place.  He just doesn't want to upgrade to Vista.  So
> again,  I ask why not stick just with XP?

As long as XP is running on a machine with no network device, no USB,
floppy, or CD drive for user input, sure, keep XP. At that point, XP
becomes about as easy to maintain as a typical Linux machine. Of course
it doesn't do much but at least you've still got that blessed XP
license.

No XP means no need to track a license code. If the goons from
BSA/Redmond show up on the doorstep, the school gets to give them the
finger and a loud "bugger off". By removing all "must pay license fee"
software from the school systems, the school can save money, real money,
on lawyer fees and legal support. By demanding any new machine be
shipped with NO operating system, the school saves more precious cash by
not shelling out the Microsoft Tax. The school would normally be
installing from a bulk license anyway and paying a SECOND license fee to
the cash vacuum in Redmond. Now there is no reason to not install a
platform that all the kids can also take home with no fear of punishment
for wanting to learn the new platform.