[K12OSN] Printing problem - strange!!!

root sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Wed Nov 28 08:41:41 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 27 November 2007 9:29 pm, bear2bar at netscape.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've installed K12LTSP V7 beta 5 on a dual Xenon P-IV server, WS (19)
> are P-III 733 Mhz & Webmin is used for management. The printer is an HP
> 2200DN laserjet with a fixed IP address of 192.168.0.253 as defined in
> lts.conf
>
> Problem: periodically the printer becomes disabled & can only be enabled
> from a root account. The "admin" account setup in Webmin with printer
> mgt priviledges cannot enable the printer. I have not seen any errors in
> the logs & am wondering why.
> This system worked well with Ver IV.

Is this an openoffice issue? We have a long on-going problem whereby some
users when printing from openoffice, disable the printer and their print job
sits at the head of the queue. If you enable the printer, it disables itself
again and the only solution is to kill off the offending print job.  Why this
only happens for certain users is unknown.  If they take the print to file
option, and send the generated postscript file to the printer, it still
becomes disabled, but if root sends the postscript file to the printer, it
works fine.  After much banging our heads against the wall, we've come to the
conclusion that the computer hates some of our users :-)
--
Regards
Martin Woolley

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation