[K12OSN] 8 GB RAM on 32-bit Edubuntu with AMD 64 processors

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Nov 28 16:16:57 UTC 2007

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:30:59 -0800, Huck wrote
> Holy Hardware Batman!!! 75 concurrent firefox w/ flash and sound!!
>
> you've got all 6 NICS bonded together as a single interface? giving you
> roughly a FULL 5 GB of throughput right?
>
> processor you say was highest you got to was 25%? and only 6 GB of RAM
> used? so basically you hit 50% of 1 of your quad-cores...that's just wow!
>
> what happens if they all run TuxMath? does the video refresh begin to
> clog/bog down on the clients? with a single 1GB NIC I can only get 'bout
> 5 or 6 concurrent TuxMath or TuxType clients before bog-down occurs.
> with 5 others doing TuxPaint...although they can ALL do anything
> non-video-esque and everything runs slick as snot.

This is only used in a 7-12 grade setting, so we don't use anything like TuxMath or
GCompris.  But I might load it and fire up a lab just to see how it performs, it won't
help me at all but the info may help others.  I'll give it a try in the next couple days.

Jim