[K12OSN] 8 GB RAM on 32-bit Edubuntu with AMD 64 processors

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Nov 28 16:40:17 UTC 2007

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:33:36 -0800, Huck wrote
> Yay, I look forward to hearing the outcome.
>
> Usually at another location(high school this time) if I get 20 clients
> concurrent using FireFox and flashy stock report/trading sites(for
> example, yeah they use in econ class)...with a SINGLE GiG NIC network
> degradation happens quickly, normal application use(OpenOffice and the
> like is just fine with double that amount of concurrent users)
>
> --Huck

I also run no more than 15-20 clients per gig up-link to the switches.  Otherwise that
would be a new bottleneck.  So I have 6 gigabit nics into a 24-port gig switch, and from
that same switch I feed 6 other Dell 2324 switches (gig up-link, 24 10/100 ports to the
clients), and no more than 15-20 clients per Dell 2324.  I wanted to overkill on every
respect, network, RAM, processor, etc.  At this point I seem to be successful.

So I suspect that if Tux Math is limited to 6-10 clients per gigabit connection, I'll
see the same thing per Dell switch.  But if I spread them out over other switches I
assume I could get 6-10 x 6.  I'll test this all out and report back.  I'm curious now :-)

Jim