[K12OSN] Server Sizing for 150 Users

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon Oct 1 15:10:21 UTC 2007

info wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to use a X-server for following applications , what should be
> the ideal server sizing for the 150 nos of thin-client
> 1) ICEwm
> 2) Netscape 7.0 for specific application
> 3) Firefox 2.0
> 4) Open-office 2.3
> 5) Mail-client Sylpheed
> Which RAID configuration i should use.
>
> I am planning a Xeon Dual processor server with 4 GB of RAM,
>
> Regards
> K.Dinesh

With all those users, I'd go at least quad-processor with 16GB DRAM.
Multiple Gig-E interfaces in a "multi-link" configuration is also
needed.  For RAID configuration, SCSI is your friend here.  Assuming
that you're storing your users' data on the same server, RAID 5 is the
minimum, and if you can afford RAID 10, that's even better.

Is there any reason why you cannot split up the 150 users onto multiple
servers?

--TP
Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus