[K12OSN] smbldap and webmin - "modifications require authentication"

Rob Owens rowens at ptd.net
Thu Oct 4 22:08:36 UTC 2007

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 09:29:46AM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 07:54 -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> > I did an installation of Feisty server and ran the smbldap script.  I logged into webmin as my local root user, and attempted to add an LDAP user.  I got this error message:
> >
> > Failed to save user : Failed to add user to LDAP database : modifications require authentication
> >
> > I suspect that I have something mis-configured in webmin.  (I actually didn't do any configuration -- just used the default settings).  Does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to properly add an LDAP user?
> >
> > Thanks
> ----
> In Webmin's LDAP Users and Groups configuration, there is the ability to
> manually set the binddn and bindpw for the module.

Thanks Craig.  I got it working.  Here's exactly what I did:

In "Module Config" for LDAP Users and Groups, I set the following:
"Bind to LDAP server as":  cn=Manager,dc=mynetwork,dc=net
"Credentials for bind name above":  mypassword
(This information is located in the /etc/smbldap-tools/smbldap_bind.conf file)

After that, my first error went away but I got something about "no structuralObjectClass operational".  I corrected that by entering "Module Config" and clicking "yes" for "Show fields for given name and surname?".  (I got that info from this link:  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3459259 )

So now it seems to work.  If I encounter any more problems I'll post back.

-Rob